Monday, November 7, 2011

Prayers of the Bible, Part 8--David

So, along with the Project Love blogs, I was also in the middle of writing a series about the prayers and pray-ers of the Bible, and what we can learn about God from them.

Yes, my poor blog has been severely neglected lately just because of a lack of time for writing.

But, I'll also admit that part of the reason that series came to a screeching halt is because I came up to the time period of David and the Psalms.  And there was just so much material there that I wasn't quite sure how to handle it.  What I have decided is that they are so rich that there's really nothing I can add to them.  So for the next...well, however long it takes...I'll just try to share some of my favorite Psalms. 

It seems odd to say that, to talk about my "favorite Psalms", as they're not typically my favorite area of scripture.  And yet, sometimes I still find myself craving them...as though my soul is thirsty, and I need His Spirit to speak to me through them.  Most recently, I've found myself going through them, just reading through them, during the communion times at church each Sunday.  Have done that, read through a portion of Psalms, each Sunday morning for several months now. 

So here I will share with you the Psalms that have spoken to my spirit.  I would welcome you to spend some time with them...and to allow your own thirsty soul to drink of His Spirit...



Psalm 1

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.

Not so the wicked!
They are like chaff
that the wind blows away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.



Psalm 8

O Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!

You have set your glory above the heavens.
From the lips of children and infants
you have ordained praise
because of your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.

When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?
You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor.

You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet:
all flocks and herds,
and the beasts of the field,
the birds of the air,
and the fish of the sea,
all that swim the paths of the seas.

O Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!


Psalm 11

In the Lord I take refuge.
How then can you say to me:
"Flee like a bird to your mountain.
For look, the wicked bend their bows;
they set their arrows against the strings
to shoot from the shadows
at the upright in heart.
When the foundations are being destroyed,
what can the righteous do?"

The Lord is in his holy temple;
the Lord is on his heavenly throne.
He observes the sons of men;
his eyes examine them.
The Lord examines the righteous,
but the wicked and those who love violence
his soul hates.
On the wicked he will rain
fiery coals and burning sulfur;
a scorching wind will be their lot.

For the Lord is righteous,
he loves justice;
upright men will see his face.

No comments: