Saturday, April 30, 2011

Project Love--March--Love is a Verb

Since April is almost over, I guess I should let you know about Project Love for the month of March.  With a theme for this month of "Love is a Verb", we were encouraged to actually DO something specific to serve people in the community.  I suppose I've done that, as I've taken up a project of crocheting a sleepmat to be given to someone who needs it.

Our church-wide project for this month ended up being a service project for a local elementary school that PV has partnered with and built a relationship with over the past couple of years.  We were able to spruce up the school (cleaning, painting, and even pouring a new sidewalk!) while the kids were out on spring break last month.  Personally, I was unable to help with that project the week it was being done, but I hear things went well.  I saw some pictures of a job well done, and I couldn't be prouder to serve with the church family that I've got.

As for the devotional thoughts for this month, a couple of key verses were:

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."--I John 3:18

and

"May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you."--I Thes. 3:12

To answer a few of our study questions:

1.How is "love with words or tongue" different from "actions"?
Love with words or tongue is easy, as it doesn't require much effort to say that you love someone.  However, to love with actions, you are challenged to do something or actually sacrifice for someone in order to help them.  You are challenged to put your money where your mouth is, so to speak.

2.  How do we have "actions" that are based in "truth"?
It's said that actions speak louder than words.  I believe that our actions demonstrate how we truly feel about something.  With that in mind, if we are going to really, TRULY love someone, our actions MUST accompany our words and demonstrate our love.

3.  What is the correlation between "overflow" and "love in action"?
I interpret this to mean that we should be willing to show someone our love through our actions always, so that there is always an abundance of love for others.

4.  Other than the cross, what is Jesus' greatest act of love in action?
Jesus touched people.  He always showed them love by treating them with respect and giving them what they needed.  He treated each person as though they had value.


5.  What passage int he Bible most inspires you to put your love into action?
For me, the verse that most inspires me to put love into action is one from the book of James, where he is talking about the uselessness of faith without works.  He hits the nail on the head as he writes, "Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  If one of you says to him, 'Go; I wish you well; keep warm and well-fed, " but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?"

No comments: