Monday, January 3, 2011

New Beginnings and Fresh Starts, Part I

2010 has been a year of new beginnings and fresh starts for me.  Experienced some things for the first time ever!  

At the end of January, my roommate moved out.  This was my first time to be completely on my own, with a place all to myself.

In the middle of this year, I changed jobs.  Left the place I'd been at for three and a half years, for a similar position at a larger organization.  It's an absolutely wonderful environment, and it's been an incredible blessing.  

Shortly thereafter, I moved, in order to be closer to said job.  So I got the chance to go through all my stuff and clean house, both in a literal sense, but also in a figurative sense, in that I tried to simplify my life. If I didn't need it, I got rid of it.  Cause I surely wasn't moving it across town in the 115-degree heat that we experienced this summer!

The next month, I traded vehicles, got a new (to me) car that was a little more fuel efficient.  This was my first completely-solo car-buying experience, in that I didn't even consult the Dad.  I didn't tell anyone I was buying until after the fact.

Thanks to my new job, I experienced my first ever airplane flight, as I went with a coworker to an accounting seminar in Indiana.  Oh. My. Goodness.  I was a little nervous beforehand, not knowing what to expect of the luggage and security and layovers and waiting.  But whatever hassle there might have been (and there was none, really) was more than worth it after my first glance out the window from 30,000 feet up in the air.  Definitely a Psalm 19:1-2 moment for me, the view was absolutely breathtaking.  I'm quite certain I could never get tired of it.

Later that month, I held a new nephew, Rowdy Kyle Smith, the first child of my younger sister and her husband. (Yes, his name is really "Rowdy".  I usually just call him "Roo" or "Lil Roo", short for "Rowdy Roo".). He is adorable, and I love him.

I would be remiss to leave out the fact that in 2010 I also read the Bible through, in it's entirety, for the first time ever.

This year has been incredible, and as a year that has included so much change and new beginnings and fresh starts, it has prompted me to take a look and see what the Bible has to say about all of this.  As it turns out, my Father also seems to be a fan of new beginnings and fresh starts...

No comments: