Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Three Hundred Twenty-Eight

Day Three Hundred Twenty-Eight, Acts 9-12

Today's reading contains the story of Peter and a Gentile by the name of Cornelius.  This has always been an intriguing story, at least in my tribe, because of our generally-held-to beliefs about the Holy Spirit, when He is given, what gifts He gives, and why He gives them.  Members of my tribe generally believe that the Holy Spirit is given to believers at baptism, but in this case, the Holy Spirit came upon the household of Cornelius, in order to convince Peter that God's promise is for Jew and Gentile alike.  Though I'd love to learn more about the Holy Spirit and how He works, I don't really have the time, knowledge, experience, or energy to do so here on this blog.  But I will take this moment to refer you to my beloved blogfather, who is currently posting a series on the Holy Spirit, if you're interested in reading/studying further about that.

I will say that I love Peter's statement, when he realizes why God has sent him to Cornelius.  "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear him and  do what is right."

And just as a side note, later in the reading, Peter is imprisoned by King Herod Agrippa I, who has already had the apostle James killed.  Many believers are probably terrified that Peter faces the same fate as James, and they are gathered at the home of Mary, the mother of John Mark (of the Book of Mark fame), praying.  When Peter is miraculously released from prison in the middle of the night, he goes to Mary's house, and the Scripture says the servant girl who goes to answer the door, when she recognizes Peter's voice, is so excited that she goes to tell everyone, "Hey, it's Peter!" without opening the door for him!

I enjoy the Bible's humorous moments probably more so than most, and this is one of them.  I laugh every time I read it.  I can just see Peter standing out there, thinking, "Seriously?!?!?  Let me in!!!"

No comments: