Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Three Hundred Twelve

Day Three Hundred Twelve, John 11

As I've been blogging through the New Testament thus far, I've really noticed the theme of Jesus being sufficient.  He is the One that we need, indeed He is the only One who can meet our needs.  I can't think of any passage of scripture that portrays that more than the passage in today's reading.

Today we see the story of when Jesus' friend Lazarus becomes ill.  But when He receives word that Lazarus is sick, Jesus doesn't immediately go to heal Lazarus.  Instead, He seems to purposely wait a few days before heading to Bethany.

By the time Jesus gets there, it seems to be too late.  Lazarus has been dead four days.  All hope seems to be gone, as each of Lazarus' sisters, when given the opportunity to talk to the Lord, says to Him, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."  Indeed, the entire scene moves even Jesus to tears.

However, we can discern a tiny bit of hope and faith in Martha's words to the Lord.  She says, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.  But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask."  When Jesus tells her Lazarus will rise again, she says, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."

But Jesus has something else in mind as He boldly declares, "I am the resurrection and the life."

And then He proves it, by raising Lazarus from the dead.

Praise God that He is the reason we are living, and that whoever lives and believes in Him will never die!

No comments: