Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Three Hundred Forty-Four

Day Three Hundred Forty-Four, Acts 20-21

In today's reading, Paul ends his time in Ephesus, as he begins to head toward Jerusalem.  Just a couple of things in this reading that are a couple of my favorites, things I wanted to mention.

The first is just the humorous situation of poor Eutychus.  I'm sure it was one of those moments that wasn't funny at the time, but when you look back on it...

Poor, poor Eutychus was sitting in a window of an upstairs room, and he sank into a deep sleep, "as Paul talked on and on."  Believe me, Eutychus, I know the feeling...

Unfortunately, he fell from that window ledge and died!  But Paul ran down, threw his arms around the young man and prayed for him, and the Lord restored his life to him!

Also in this reading, as Paul is preparing to leave Ephesus, he gives the elders there some final instructions.  I just love what Paul says to them.  I pray portions of this passage over my own elders from time to time, and I wanted to share some of it:

"Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers.  Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood...be on your guard...Now I commit you to God and to the word of His grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified."

Amen.

No comments: