Saturday, December 4, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Three Hundred Eighteen

Day Three Hundred Eighteen, Luke 22, John 13-14, Matt. 26

Today's reading contains some of my absolute favorite of Jesus' teachings.

On Jesus' last night on this earth, He is preparing to eat the Passover with His disciples. He tells them something that I never noticed until one of our youth ministers pointed it out in a sermon of his about 3 1/2 years ago...

Jesus says, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer."

Jesus was truly excited, looking forward to sharing that meal with His friends. In the same way, He eagerly desires to commune with us. Just love that thought!

As Jesus was so looking forward to dining with His friends, imagine His disappointment when he realizes they are in an argument over who is the greatest! After all this time, they still don't get it...

So He gives them one more object lesson. He gets up from the table, wraps a towel around His waist, and begins to wash their feet. THIS, He tells them, is how the greatest among them should act.

No one says anything...until He gets ot Peter. Oh, Simon Peter, always got something to say. He's hesitant to let Jesus wash his feet. But when Jesus tells him itis necessary in order for Peter to have a part with Jesus, Peter says wash, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!" You do at least have to respect that enthusiasm! Jesus has to remind him, "But Peter, only your feet are dirty!"

Jesus' main point to His disciples is that they are to love one another. "By this, all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

He tells His disciples not to be troubled. He is going to prepare a place for them. They cannot come with Him, but He will come back for them. When Thomas asks to know the way to the place where He is going, Jesus replies, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

Then Philip chimes in, "Lord, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us."

I can almost hear a little exasperation and desperation in Jesus' voice as He answers, "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father...Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me?"

This little discourse with Thomas and Philip and Jesus screams to me what I've been seeing jump off the pages of the New Testament these past few weeks. He is the Way. He is the Truth. He is the Life. He is the Gate. He is the Good Shepherd. He is the Light of the world. He is the Bread of Life. He is the True Vine. He is the Resurrection and the Life.

He is all I need.

No comments: