Thursday, December 2, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Three Hundred Fourteen

Day One Hundred Fourteen, John 12, Matt. 21, Mark 11, Luke 19

Several interesting things in today's reading:

We start with Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem.  Can't you just imagine the scene!  Jesus is riding in on  a donkey, people are spreading their cloaks and/or palm branches in his path, and they're shouting, "Hosanna!"  "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!"  "Blessed is the King of Israel!"  "Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"

When the Pharisees hear this, they are indignant.  They tell Jesus to make the people stop shouting.  I love Jesus' response!  He says, "I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out."  Love the children's song based on this passage, "Ain't No Rock."  As it says, "Ain't no rock gonna cry in my place!  As long as I'm alive, I'll glorify His holy name!"

The next day, we see Jesus at the Temple, healing the blind and lame, and there are children shouting praise to Him.  Again the Pharisees are indignant.  But Jesus reminds them of the scripture from Psalms, "From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise."  I love this example of how He is the One who is the fulfillment of Scripture.  He is the One who was to come.

Finally, Jesus is predicting His own crucifixion, and He says, "Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say?  'Father, save me from this hour'?  No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.  Father, glorify your name!"

Suddenly a voice from heaven, sounding like thunder, replies to Him!  "I have glorified it, and will glorify it again."  This is now the third time a voice has spoken from heaven, a Voice that affirms the fact that Jesus is who He claims to be.

No comments: