Thursday, November 18, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Three Hundred Ten

Day Three Hundred Ten, Luke 9-11, Luke 17, Matt. 11, John 10

Lots of good stuff going on in today's reading as Jesus finishes up His Galilean ministry. He "resolutely set out for Jerusalem" at this point.

Jesus heals ten lepers. One comes back to thank Him.

Jesus sends out seventy-two of His disciples with authority to teach and proclaim the coming kingdom of God. When they return, Jesus rejoices in the fact that the kingdom is being revealed.

Jesus tells the parable of the Good Samaritan.

He spends time with Mary and Martha, commending Mary for the time she chooses to spend at His feet, listening to Him.

He teaches His disciples how to pray and encourages them to pray with persistence. He wants them to pray with faith, as He assures them that as they know how to give good gifts to their children, even more so, God gives good gifts to His children.

At the end of today's reading, Jesus once again affirms His deity, as He claims that He and the Father are one.

But buried right smack dab in the middle of today's reading is yet another glorious invitation that Jesus issues, one that always speaks to my heart of Jesus' desire to give us just what we need:

In Matthew 11, He says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you wil find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

No comments: