Thursday, October 14, 2010

Walk Humbly (Part One)


Let me go ahead and get this out of the way: I never intended to take three months off from blogging. Despite the fact that I packed up and moved. And despite the fact that then I had to unpack everything. And despite the fact that even in the middle of all that, I changed jobs! None of that is an excuse for being absent for nearly three months. Three weeks, maybe...but definitely not three months. Please accept my humble apology.


Before my three-month hiatus, I began a series based on a verse found in Micah:
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? But to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."--Micah 6:8
As I close out this series, I'd like to talk about what I think is the most exciting part of those basic instructions from the Lord.
I find it interesting how often God instructs us to walk with Him. From my reading of Genesis, the feeling I get is that we were intended to walk with God from the beginning. God made us for fellowship with Him. In chapter 3, right after the fall of man, we see mention of God walking in the garden. Based on the way the scripture mentions it, it doesn't seem too noteworthy...as though it's something He's done before. It says, of Adam and Eve, that "They heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day..." How incredible would that have been, to be able to walk in a beautiful garden in the cool of the day, with the God who created it!?!
Obviously, the fall of man and the curse on this earth and those of us in it has greatly hindered our ability to walk with God. But not completely. Not long after the account of the garden of Eden and the fall of man, we have a couple of short scriptures about a man name Enoch. He would not be all that noteworthy, just another name in a long geneological list, but for one exception. Scripture says he walked with God. Okay. Scripture says other people walked with God, too. Noah comes to mind. However, something must have been very unique about Enoch's walk with God, as we discover that he is one of only two people in scripture that never tasted death. "Enoch walked with God; and then he was no more, because God took him."--Gen. 5:24
So even after our sin has separated us from God, we see that it is still possible to walk before Him and to walk with Him. In fact, His people are commanded to do so. When He first calls Abram, He says, "I am God Almighty. Walk before me, and be blameless."--Gen. 17:1
He tells His people Israel, "You shall walk in all the way which the Lord your God has commanded you, that you may live and that it may be well with you, and that you may prolong your days in the land which you will possess."--Deut. 5:33 They are promised blessings if they walk with Him. In fact, walking in His ways is the only way to abide with Him. "O Lord, who may abide in Your tent? Who may dwell on your holy hill? He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness, and speaks truth in his heart."--Ps. 15:1-2

So how do we, as a sinful people, walk with God, then? When our sins have separated us from Him and we are constantly tempted by things that are not of Him? What does it mean to walk with Him on a daily basis and how do we accomplish this?

Well, first of all, we have His promise to be with us! He still desires to walk with us. He told his people Israel, "I will also walk among you and be your God, and you shall be my people."--Lev. 26:12 Whatever we face, we know He will be there for us, and we wil not be alone. God told the Israelites through the prophet Isaiah, "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overthrow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned, nor will the flame burn you."--Is. 43:2 Indeed, David, in probably his most famous Psalm, writes, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me."--Psalm 23:4
Not only will God be with us, but He promises to strengthen us in our walk and to teach us how to walk with Him. In one of the Proverbs, He says, "I have directed you in the way of wisdom. I have led you in upright paths. When you walk, your steps will not be impeded; and if you run, you will not stumble."--Prov. 4:11-12 God tries to remind His people through His prophet Isaiah, that He is the one that taught them how to walk from the beginning. "Yet it is I who taught Ephraim how to walk; I took them in My arms; but they did not know that I healed them."--Hosea 11:3
We've got plenty of blessings to gain from walking with God and having Him be with us and be our strenght in that walk with Him. But as someone who absolutely loves to learn, I think I'm even more excited about the fact that God will teach us how to walk with Him!!! Indeed, He's already taught us a lot about what that means! We'll take a look tomorrow about what He specifically teaches about walking with Him...

Thanks for reading! And much love!

3 comments:

Keith Brenton said...

Worth the wait!

Alan said...

Looking forward to it. Welcome back.

mmlace said...

Thanks, Alan. Did not know you were still reading.

Saw you across the foyer Sunday a.m. as you were checking in your sweet daughter before class. (Gosh, she's ADORABLE!)

How was the bday?