Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Two Hundred Ninety-Five

Day Two Hundred Ninety-Five, Luke 3, Matthew 3-4, John 1

Today's reading is mostly about the ministry of John the Baptist, but it also includes the temptation of Jesus.

As John is preaching to the crowds, he warns them to, "produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I tell you that out of the stones God can raise up children for Abraham."

Mostly, I've noticed John's recognition of his own insufficiency in relation to Christ. He tells the crowd, "I baptize you with water. But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire."

When he sees Jesus, he describes Him to the crowds as, "the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because He was before me.'" And when Jesus asks John to baptize Him, John objects! "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?"

After Jesus is baptized by John, He goes into the desert and after a season of fasting, He is tempted by Satan. Jesus Himself answers Satan with Scripture, one that I feel like, in particular, speaks to the sufficiency of God and the fact that truly, He is the One that sustains us. "Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."

That verse holds enormous significance for me right now, as it's the verse that this entire Project 4:4 is based upon. Man lives on every word that comes from the mouth of God. I've fed on the Word of God like never before this year, and although they don't read this blog, I've got some wonderful church leaders to thank for that. By the end of this year, I, along with others in my congregation, will have read every word from the mouth of God that we have written in His Word...some of them for the first time ever for me!

Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.

No comments: