Thursday, July 1, 2010

Project 4:4--Day One Hundred Sixty-One

Day One Hundred Sixty-One, II Kings 6, 8, 5, 7

Today’s reading contains a the story of Naaman, which has long been one of my favorites since I was a kid. So I’d highly recommend that you take a look at it.

However, today’s reading also contains another story that has become one of my favorites as I’ve gotten older. I’ll share a portion of it with you here:

The king of Syria is at war with Israel, but time and again his plans are ruined, as the prophet Elisha is always able to warn the king of Israel about Syria’s plans before they happen. This enrages the Syrian king, so he sends men to find out where Elisha is staying. When he finds out where Elisha is, he sends an army of chariots and horsemen to surround the city.

Scripture says, “When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. ‘Oh, my lord, what shall we do?’ the servant asked. ‘Don’t be afraid,’ the prophet answered. ‘Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.’ And Elisha prayed, ‘O Lord, open his eyes so he may see.’ Then the Lord opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. As the enemy came down toward him, Elisha prayed to the Lord, ‘Strike these people with blindness.’ So he struck them with blindness, as Elisha had asked.”

May we always be reminded that the One who is in us is greater than the one who is in the world.

O Lord, open my eyes so that I may see.

No comments: