Thursday, May 6, 2010

Project 4:4--Day One Hundred (Part II)

Day One Hundred (Part II), II Sam. 21, I Chron. 18-19, Ps. 60, II Sam. 11-12, Ps. 51

For all that David did to disappoint us at the beginning of today’s reading, you’ve gotta respect his reaction, when he finally comes face-to-face with the ugliness of his sin.

When the prophet Nathan comes to David to confront him, he first tells him a story, as a type of metaphor for David’s sin. David listens objectively to Nathan’s story about a rich man who stole and killed the one little ewe lamb that had belonged to a poor man. When David hears this, he is infuriated. “This man deserves to die!”

Then comes Nathan’s words, “You are the man!” God basically says to him (I’m paraphrasing) “I gave you more than you ever dreamed of. And if all that had not been enough, I would’ve given you more!!! But you did this evil in taking what was not yours and killing Uriah.”

Then He says, (word for word), “Now, therefore, the sword will never depart from your house, because you despised Me…Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity upon you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight. You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.”

David’s response to that is, “I have sinned against the Lord.”

Next in the reading is included one of the most beautiful psalms, a prayer for David’s forgiveness, which is actually a song that we sing occasionally. I’ll leave you with the words to that song, “Create In Me a Clean Heart”:

“Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a right spirit within me.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a right spirit within me.

And cast me not away from Your Presence, O Lord,
And take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore unto me the joy of your salvation,
And renew a right spirit within me.”

No comments: