Thursday, May 6, 2010

Project 4:4--Day One Hundred One

Day One Hundred One, II Sam. 12, II Sam. 8, I Chron. 18, I Chron. 11, I Sam. 23

The most profound part of today’s reading for me was David’s trust in the Lord’s mercy.

After David had sinned, Nathan said to him, “The Lord has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. But because by doing this you have made the enemies of the Lord show utter contempt, the son born to you will die.”

When David’s son becomes sick, David lays facedown on the ground, fasting and praying, refusing to get up or eat anything. However, when David hears that his son is dead, he gets up, washes himself, goes to worship the Lord, then goes home to have something to eat.

His servants don’t understand why he is behaving this way. They think that it seems backwards for him to be less upset now that the child is dead. David’s response?

“While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, ‘Who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me and let the child live.’ But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.”

No comments: