Thursday, May 13, 2010

Project 4:4--Day One Hundred Four

Day One Hundred Four, II Sam. 16-19

A couple of things stand out to me in today’s reading. First of all, we see a fulfillment of the prophecy against David. The Lord had told David that “before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight. You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.” We see this happen, as Absalom takes David’s concubines for himself and lies with them.

Secondly, as a battle ensues between Absalom and David, David gives orders to “be gentle with the young man Absalom.” However, in the heat of battle, when Absalom is caught hanging in a tree by his hair (ouch!), Joab (there he is again, our trusted companion Joab) again takes matters into his own hands. He plunges three javelins into Absalom and kills him.

Finally, when David learns of the death of Absalom, his son who has tried to take his kingdom from him, his response is that of a father. He “covered his face and cried aloud, ‘O my son Absalom! O Absalom, my son, my son!’”

No comments: