Sunday, May 2, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Ninety-Six

Day Ninety-Six, II Sam. 2-5, I Chron. 11-12

In today’s reading, David becomes king of Judah, and he reigns for several years in Hebron. However, civil war breaks out between the followers of David and the followers of Ish-Bosheth, a son of Saul.

It’s during this time that we learn a little bit about the kind of person who is the leader of David’s army. His name is Joab. I’ll confess that I’ve not studied much of Joab, he’s not one that’s usually considered a MAJOR character in the Bible. I’ve always just thought of him as one of the “good guys” because he was on David’s team. He has a lot of influence in the events surrounding David’s life. But just by my most recent observations, he’s the kind of guy that’s always up to something…probably very opinionated…and the kind of guy that, if he doesn’t like the way David has handled a situation, he won’t hesitate to take matters into his own hands.

He did a couple of things for his own personal gain, against his king David’s wishes, and I’m not sure how I feel about that. Joab…he’s the guy that you’ll wanna keep your eye on.

No comments: