Sunday, May 2, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Ninety-Seven

Day Ninety-Seven, II Sam. 5, I Chron. 11, 13-14, II Sam. 22, Ps. 18

In today’s reading David takes over the city of Jerusalem, which is the city he will rule from for most of his reign. It is in this reading that David decides to bring the ark of the Lord back, to the city of Jerusalem. However, the Israelites aren’t following God’s guidelines in transporting the ark. You know the story: they have it on a cart, being pulled by oxen; the oxen stumbles; the ark starts to fall; poor Uzzah reaches up to steady it, and BAM! Or as the NIV puts it, “The Lord’s anger burned against Uzzah, and He struck him down because he had put his hand on the ark. So he died there before God.”

I’m not even going to go into all the discussion that I’ve heard over the years regarding this incident, as it’s been used numerous times in the tribe I’m a part of. More interesting to me in this reading is David’s reaction. Bible says he was angry because of the Lord’s wrath. Also says he was afraid of God at that point.

So afraid, in fact, that he puts a halt on Operation: Transport the Ark to Jerusalem. Instead, they take it aside to the house of Obed-Edom, the Gittite. Coincidentally, the entire time the ark is there, Obed-Edom’s household and everything that he had was blessed by the Lord.

That’s just an interesting contrast to me: the Lord whose anger burns against someone vs. the Lord who longs to bless us. Sometimes I have difficulty wrapping my brain around both of those aspects of our God.

No comments: