Sunday, May 2, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Ninety-Five

Day Ninety-Five, I Sam. 28, 31, I Chron. 10, II Sam. 1

Today’s reading includes some SERIOUS weirdness, and I’m just not sure what to make of it. I promised you that although Samuel was dead, we’ve not heard the last of him. And today is the day.

As Saul is about to be attacked by the Philistine army, he is afraid, so he inquires of the Lord. But the Lord has been displeased with Saul for quite some time now, and the Lord does not answer Saul as to what he is to do. So again, Saul takes matters into his own hands, consulting a witch, asking her to conjure up the spirit of Samuel.

This is where I get confused. I don’t know if this woman was for real or not. I don’t know enough about the spiritual forces in the heavenly realms to say one way or the other, only that they exist (Eph. 6). I do believe, however, that for whatever reason, God used this opportunity to communicate to Saul what was to happen to him as a result of his disobedience. Samuel lets Saul know that tomorrow his army will be overtaken by the Philistines, and both he and his sons will die at the hands of the Philistines.

Surely enough, both Saul and David’s dear friend Jonathan died the next day. Interesting to me is David’s response…his crying out, not only for the death of his dear friend Jonathan, but also his lament for his enemy Saul.

No comments: