Saturday, April 3, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Seventy-Five

Day Seventy-Five, Joshua 15, Joshua 24, Judges 1-2

Today’s reading includes some additional information about the conquests in the promised land and how some of the land was divided.

However, it is noted that each of the tribes failed to completely conquer the people living in the land. The Lord instructed the people to go in and destroy everything and completely take over. For whatever reason, they didn’t completely obey the Lord’s command. Rather than completely destroy the peoples before them, they intermingled with them and with their lifestyle…and that would ultimately lead to Israel’s downfall.

The Lord saw this disobedience as breach of their covenant with Him, as He said, “I brought you up out of Egypt and led you into the land that I swore to give to your forefathers. I said, ‘I will never break my covenant with you, and you shall not make a covenant with the people of this land, but you shall break down their altars.’ Yet you have disobeyed me. Why have you done this? Now therefore I tell you that I will not drive them out before you; they will be thorns in your sides and their gods will be a snare to you.”

No comments: