Saturday, April 3, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Seventy-Eight

Day Seventy-Eight, Judges 6-8

Okay, here’s what I love about the story of Gideon…he “tests” God and gets away with it! I mean, God is okay with Gideon’s doubts!!!

The fact is, God knows that we are human. He knows that we are going to struggle with belief and having the faith to do what He asks of us.

I also believe that He knows our hearts. He knows the difference between someone who truly desires to do His will but is afraid, as opposed to someone who throws out excuses because they just flat-out don’t want to do what He’s asking.

I see this with Gideon, who I believe wanted to obey God. He just wanted some assurance. God provided Gideon that assurance.

I see this with Thomas, who I believe wanted to believe in His risen Savior, but said that he would not until he saw the scars in His hands and put his hand in the Savior’s side. God showed up and provided Thomas that opportunity.

I guess I see this principle most clearly with Moses, when God spoke to him through the burning bush.

Moses said, “Who do I say sent me?” God provided him an answer.

Moses said, “What if they don’t believe me?” God provided him with signs to show the people.

Moses said, “But I’m not a good speaker.” God reminded him that He is the one that provided him with ability to speak, and He also sent his brother Aaron to help him speak.

Only when Moses ran out of excuses and just flat-out said, “Lord, please send someone else!” did the Lord’s anger burn against Moses.

So like Moses, and Thomas, I love the story of Gideon because it’s a fantastic reminder that God, in His loving mercy, is patient with my doubts.

So long as I’m willing to do what He asks.

No comments: