Monday, April 19, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Ninety-Three

Day Ninety-Three, I Samuel 22-24, Psalm 52, Psalm 63, Psalm 54, Psalm 57

David continues to be on the run, and in today’s reading we have several of his different psalms: he prays against evildoers; he remembers God’s love and protection; he asks for protection from foes; and he praises God for being his refuge.

Most significant in today’s reading is the way David treats his enemy, King Saul. David and his men are hiding in a cave, when Saul comes in the cave to “relieve” himself. Now David’s got his chance! At least, that’s what his men say to him.

But David refuses to lift his hand against the Lord’s anointed. David sneaks up behind Saul and cuts off a corner of his robe, but he refuses to harm him. After Saul leaves, David calls out to him. He points out the fact that he could have killed him but didn’t. He says, “May the Lord avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you.” Saul seems to back off of David for the moment. But it doesn’t last long.

At the very end of today’s reading, Samuel dies and is buried. However…believe me when I tell you that we haven’t seen the last of him!

2 comments:

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Just want to let you know that i read your blog and enjoy your thoughts.

mmlace said...

Wow. Thanks. I didn't know anyone was actually reading! :)

I decided at the beginning of this year that I wanted to have a daily record of everything that I'd read/studied so that I could look back in the future and see what I got out of each day's reading.

Obviously, we're more than 98 days into the year, here.

I'll try to get caught up!