Sunday, April 11, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Eighty-Six

Day Eighty-Six, I Samuel 3-7

Today’s reading had several things that I appreciated. First was the calling of Samuel. I love how Samuel mistakes the voice of the Lord for the voice of Eli. How can that be??? That just seems a little humorous to me. You would think the Lord’s voice would be like no other. But I love the fact that Eli, so much older and wiser than Samuel, finally catches on and realizes that it is the Lord who is calling Samuel. And he instructs him in how to answer the Lord: “Speak, for your servant is listening.” I love the picture of someone older and wiser teaching someone younger how to listen to and obey the voice of the Lord! Perhaps because as a younger person, I enjoy learning from those older and wiser than I, how to listen to and obey the voice of the Lord. (There are a few of you out there who have taught me a thing or two about how to do that. If any of you are reading this, you know who you are. I am most grateful for you.)

Also, in today’s reading I love the sense of humor that God has. I dunno, maybe God didn’t intend for this to be funny; maybe He was strictly trying to make a point. And make a point, He certainly did. But I found it hilarious that when the Philistines captured the ark of the covenant of the Lord Almighty and placed it in the temple of their god Dagon, the next morning, the Philistines went in to find their god Dagon fallen on his face before the ark of the Lord!!! “Well maybe it was a coincidence that he fell over…” they may have thought, as they picked him up and put him back in his place. Next morning, same thing…except this time his hands and head were broken off and lying on the floor as well. Hmm…

Seems to me that God didn’t leave much room for doubt in the minds of the Philistines as to Who is THE one, true God.

No comments: