Sunday, April 11, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Eighty-Seven

Day Eighty-Seven, I Samuel 8-12

A couple of things in today’s reading….

Saul is the man that has been chosen by the Lord and anointed by Samuel to be king over Israel. However, when this is to be announced to all the Israelites assembled together…Saul is nowhere to be found! He had actually hidden himself among the baggage! A little bit reminiscent of Moses…very reminiscent of Gideon. Thus we see, yet again, someone feeling unworthy/incapable of the leadership role to which God has called them. I just find that interesting.

Also in this reading we find Samuel’s farewell address to the people of Israel. As Samuel prepares to step down as judge over Israel, these are the words that Samuel gives the people, because they have rejected God as their king in favor of an earthly king. I’m gonna include it here, because I’ve recently heard it used in a book as a type of prescription, if you will, for dealing with sin, and I thought it was very useful:

“Do not be afraid,” Samuel replied. “You have done all this evil; yet do not turn away from the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart. Do not turn away after useless idols. They can do you no good, nor can they rescue you, because they are useless. For the sake of His great name the Lord will not reject His people, because the Lord was pleased to make you His own. As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against he Lord by failing to pray for you. And I will teach you the way that is good and right. But be sure to fear the Lord and serve Him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things He has done for you. Yet if you persist in doing evil, both you and your king will be swept away.”

No comments: