Saturday, April 10, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Eighty-One

Day Eighty-One, Ruth

Today’s reading is an excellent one, a story of fierce loyalty, wise advice, and redeeming kindness.

At the beginning of the story, we see the extremely rare loyalty of Ruth to her mother-in-law, Naomi. Ruth absolutely refused to listen to her mother-in-law’s suggestion to return to her father’s household. She refused to leave her mother-in-law. Instead, she vowed that “Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.”

Ruth leaves her homeland to return to Bethlehem with Ruth, and there, she met a man by the name of Boaz, a man whose field she was allowed to glean in behind the harvesters. Naomi knew that Boaz was a relative of hers, so she suggested to Ruth to go to him, knowing that he might be a kinsman-redeemer for Ruth.

Boaz, who has allowed Ruth the ability to glean in his fields, welcomes the duty of taking Ruth as a wife, and she is able to bear him a son.

This son is named Obed. Obed then has a son named Jesse. Jesse had multiple sons, the youngest of which you might’ve heard of before. His name is David. As in King David…but we’ll get to him soon enough.

In the meantime, take some time to appreciate this wonderful story which in some ways foreshadows another Story of redeeming kindness shown to us by a Son of David.

No comments: