Sunday, April 11, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Eighty-Five

Day Eighty-Five, I Samuel 1-2

What I loved most from today’s reading was how Hannah prayed for what she wanted. I’ve heard some people say that we shouldn’t pray for specific things, but rather for God’s blessing and for His will to be done. I respectfully disagree with this, only because I believe that God cares about our desires and what is on our hearts.

The one thing Hannah wanted was a son. She wanted a son so desperately and she would be so grateful for a son that she promised that if the Lord would bless her with a son, she would dedicate that son to the Lord.

First of all, Hannah recognized where her blessing was coming from, that it was from the Lord. She would not be stingy in dedicating to the Lord what He had given her in the first place! I’m getting a little bit ahead here in the reading, but one of my favorite passages regarding giving is at the end of I Chronicles, where King David is nearing the end of his reign, and he is gathering all the provisions for his son Solomon to build the Temple. So all of the Israelites have brought all of these articles for the Temple, all of this wealth has been given to the Lord, and David gives thanks for it. He prays, “Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all. Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name. But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.”

Secondly, I just love the way that Hannah pours out her heart, expressing herself to her Lord. Scripture says that Eli, the priest, thought she was drunk! But she says, “Not so, my lord…I was pouring out my soul to the Lord…I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief.”

When’s the last time you truly poured out your soul to the Lord in that way?

No comments: