Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Twenty

Sorry to leave the cliffhanger for so long...

Been a CRAZY week/weekend, but I am going to try my best to catch up! Anyway, Day Twenty, Genesis 44-47

Benjamin is found to have Joseph's silver cup, so the brothers head back to Egypt, to appear before Joseph. There they admit that God has uncovered their guilt. (It makes me wonder...they were not guilty of stealing the cup...so did they feel remorse/guilt for selling Joseph years ago?)

Joseph says that the one who was found to have the cup must become his slave. At this, Judah steps up...yes, Judah, whose bright idea it was to sell Joseph into slavery to begin with. See how he's changed, as he says, "...Now then, please let your servant remain here as my lord's slave in place of the boy, and let the boy return with his brothers. How can I go back to my father if the boy is not with me? No! Do not let me see the misery that would come upon my father."

Judah had guaranteed Benjamin's safety to their father, and he could not bear to bring that kind of grief to his father, so much so that he wanted to take the place of Benjamin! As Joseph sees this, he is no longer able to control himself. He breaks down, tells his brothers who he is. He explains to his brothers what has happened through God's providence. He claims, "It was not you who sent me here, but God."

The Israelites are extended an invitation by Pharaoh to come and live in the land of Goshen. So the brothers return to Canaan to bring Jacob and the rest of their families to Egypt. On the way, God appears to Israel yet again in a dream, reassuring him that he will live in Egypt and Joseph himself will be with him when he dies.

No comments: