Thursday, January 28, 2010

Project 4:4--Day Twenty-Two

Day Twenty-Two, Exodus 1-4

Several things stand out to me about this day's reading.

First of all, there are the Hebrew midwives who lie to the Pharaoh about why they are not killing the baby boys as he had commanded. You would wonder, "When is it ever okay to lie?" But I am reminded of the passage in Acts, where Peter tells the Sanhedrin, "Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God."

I'm also once again impressed at the providence of God in allowing Moses such a situation to be brought up in the Pharaoh's palace, raised by the daughter of Pharaoh. I'm sure it was there that he acquired many of the skills necessary to make him the man for God's job of leading the people of Israel out of bondage.

One of the first things we read about Moses as an adult is about the time that he kills an Egyptian for beating a Hebrew. That's one of those passages I tend to glaze over. But to stop and think about it for a second is a little bit awkward. Moses, the murderer? He had it in him.

Finally, there is the story of Moses and the burning bush. I love this story. Moses has excuse after excuse for why he can't do what God is asking him to. And you know what God's reaction is?

In His unfailing GRACE, He meets every need that Moses can dream up!!! Read part of their conversation below (I'm paraphrasing):

Moses: "Who will I say sent me???"

God: ""I AM that I AM"

Moses: "What if they don't believe me???"

God: "Throw your staff on the ground...Put your hand inside your cloak...and see what happens!"

Moses: "But I'm not a good speaker..."

God: "Are you kidding me??? Who do you think GAVE man the ability to speak?!?!? I will be with you and help you to speak."

Finally the truth comes out as Moses just says, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it." Moses just flat out didn't want to do what God was asking of him. It was at this point that "the Lord's anger burned agains Moses."

Yet in God's grace, He again agrees to meet a need of Moses', by sending his brother Aaron with him to be a spokesman for him.

The moral of this story is that God is a God of GRACE! He made us as humans, and He knows our weaknesses. So when God calls us to do something, He can remove whatever obstacle stands in our way of obeying Him. But we've GOT TO BE WILLING TO OBEY HIM.

No comments: