Saturday, August 9, 2008

Busy-ness

That's what today was for me.

Right now is about the first time I've really stopped to catch my breath today.

Really, it started last night, when my wonderful friends in my Singles group at church threw me a birthday party! Well...we always generally hang out on Friday nights anyway, playing games, watching movies, or just sitting and talking. Last night was no different...but my friend Bill ordered pizza for everyone, and my friend Kimberly made us some cupcakes! (I've got the greatest friends!) We had a good time, and it was a late night...didn't leave till about 1:00, and didn't get to sleep till about 2:00.

Took basically a nap, then woke up at 6:30, because a couple of the girls at my party last night wanted to go to a garage sale this morning. We've got another friend of ours that was trying to get rid of some stuff before she gets married and moves to Brazil, so we wanted to go show our support and see what she had to offer!

I came home, went to Walmart and bought some paint and some fabric. Came home and got to work, painting a sofa table that I'd bought awhile back. Started reupholstering my dining room chairs. Went back to Walmart to get more fabric when I realized I didn't have enough. Cleaned my kitchen. Started some laundry. Cleaned my living room. Started back to work on the dining room chairs, then went back to Walmart a third time (they've got my #) when I ran out of staples. I had the presence of mind this THIRD time to go ahead and pick up the stuff I'd need to make the dish I'm taking to our brunch tomorrow morning. We'll be having a brunch during our Sunday morning Bible class, in honor of the guy that's been teaching us. He's done an amazing job, and he's technically done w/his material, but has ever-so-graciously agreed to stay with us through the end of the month, when he'll then be obligated to teach elsewhere.

In the midst of all this busy-ness and back-and-forth to Walmart, I did happen to stop and treat myself to a free "Love it!" size creation from Cold Stone Creamery. If you sign up w/them on their website and join their birthday club, they'll e-mail you a coupon on your birthday for free ice cream! I appreciate the fact that the good folks at Cold Stone try their best to make sure that you get your money's worth out of whatever size ice cream you order. I do not, however, appreciate the fact that in doing so, my ice cream was too big for the lid to fit on it, and they forgot to give me a napkin. So my ice cream dripped. By the time I'd made it 10 feet out to my car, it dripped all down the cup. It dripped on my hands. It dripped on my pants. It dripped in my car. It was very messy. Good...but messy.

I finally made it home and rinsed all the ice cream sticky-ness off of my hands and got back to work on the dining chairs. Then I made a delicious cream cheese danish-type dish for tomorrow morning.

That brings me to right now, where it's nearly midnight, and I'm sitting here with the rest of the ice cream from earlier, listening to the rain right outside my window, finally getting a moment to relax. I've had all this stuff to do, going constantly all day, when in reality I've been having sinus issues all week long and all I really felt like doing today was drinking some Nyquil and sleeping all day. Such is life.

But I'm not complaining. Because when I look at my life, I really couldn't ask for anything better. Late last night, one of my friends asked me about that. He asked me, "Are you happy here???" I wasn't sure what he meant...here at PV? Here in Little Rock? Turns out he just meant here in general...with my life...here, as a young, single person, living my life on my own. He mentioned that he would someday like to have a family. I agreed...I would love to have a family someday. But I also told him that I don't feel like I'm ready for that right now, I'm still working on me.

And until then, these Singles that I'm friends with...they are my family. True, we spend alot of our spare time together just hanging out. But we also get to spend alot of time together each week in Bible study, in prayer, and in service to others. That's why I couldn't ask for anything better--because despite all the busy-ness that I have going on, they help keep me focused on HIS business.

1 comment:

Keith Brenton said...

It is a world-class blessing from God to have good friends.

And ice cream.