Saturday, July 12, 2008

It's That Time Again!!!

The car is loaded down and packed for camp!!!

Nearly every summer since I've been in college, I've had the privilege of counseling at the Jr. High week of a little church camp down on Lake Greeson, just outside of Daisy, AR. This year is no exception! We've got the same OUTSTANDING staff members that I am privileged to work with yet another year, and even more so, to call my brothers and sisters in Christ. We'll have some returning campers that I can't wait to see! And some new ones that I can't wait to meet!!!

I've been reading back over the blog I wrote about camp a little over a year ago, and the same sentiments still apply. I wrote, "Barton Bible Camp, owned by the Murfreesboro Church of Christ in Murfreesboro, AR, it is a rather small church camp down near Daisy, AR on the beautiful Lake Greeson. Not the most convenient place to be...it's pretty remotely located. Not the most relaxing place to be...if you know anything about junior high aged kiddos. Not the coolest place to be...and I mean "cool" in its more traditional usage...because last summer there was a thermometer that was in a shaded place and...no exaggeration...it read 104 degrees! Not the nicest campgrounds...I've been to much nicer facilities...you know, ones with air conditioning in all the buildings, not just the cabins; ones with swimming pools, rather than a lake which requires a 1/2 mile hike down a jagged, steep hill (which can be very dangerous in the dark, btw) just to baptize someone into Christ. And, frankly, now that I am no longer in college, my time is much more limited. There are no more summers off, and I could think of many other things I could be doing with my precious vacation time."

However, Barton Bible Camp is still absolutely my FAVORITE place to be, and this is still absolutely my FAVORITE week of the year!!! Our theme for the week is going to be "Live Above It" and which is taken from the verse Col. 3:2, "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." That's quite a challenge, to live in this world and not be of it, and I pray it's one that we can all strive to live up to as we try to set an example for these kiddos and try to teach them to press on toward that same goal.

Several prayers on my heart as I get ready for this year's camp:

I pray that God gives us all safe travel to and from our homes and camp.

I pray that it's not too insanely hot again, like it was two years ago.

I pray that God is glorified and that we are all brought closer to Him through praise, worship, fellowship, and helping to teach others more about Him.

Barton Bible Camp 2008 Here I Come!!!

No comments: