Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Oasis

Last Sunday afternoon, I went on a short hike with a friend of mine. She's a bit of a hippy chick, and she took me to this place here in Little Rock--a place that I didn't even know existed!--called "The Oasis Renewal Center". It's a beautiful retreat-type place with a lodge, a lake, and a couple of miles of hiking trails.

There's even a little area that has a small waterfall, when there is enough water there. She said it's not always there, but when it rains as much as it's rained here recently, there was plenty of water for the waterfall to be flowing.

She and I each packed a little sandwich lunch and headed there after church Sunday morning. We walked for a mile or so, then we stopped at one of their decks that overlooks a little creek, and we ate and talked for awhile. We walked some more, but alot of our time was spent just in meditation and prayer.

The center was designed to be such a place, with several areas along the trails where there are benches or decks that you can stop at, and there are various scriptures carved on some of the rocks there.

As we were leaving, my friend asked me, "If you could have a place like this, with scriptures posted, what scripture would you want carved into a rock?" I had to think about it for awhile. It's really hard for me to pick just one favorite scripture. Just one to meditate upon in an effort to receive spiritual renewal??? I finally answered with one of my favorite passages, one that helps me remember to just keep on going in faith:

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith, who, for the joy set before Him, endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."--Heb. 12:1-3

So now, allow me to pose the question to you. What verse gives you the most spiritual renewal? If you could have a rock with a scripture carved on it, what would it be? And why???

1 comment:

Dee Andrews said...

My long time favorite verse has been Romans 8:28 - that all things WILL work together for good (at some later date) for those of us who are called according to His purpose - because I have seen it come to pass countless times, over and over and over.

This was a good post! Thanks.

Cheers & Blessings to you today!

Dee

P. S. Hope you have a great weekend!