Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Vast Majority

They say that the vast majority of people involved in car wrecks are within just a few miles radius of their homes.

Last night I became a member of that vast majority when someone rear-ended me.

It was the perfect ending to my day. I had to work till 6:00 last night. At about 7:45 I went up to my church building just to hang w/some folks in our singles group. We try to do that most Friday nights...we'll get together just to play cards or games or watch TV or a movie or whatever. When I walked in, there was already a game of spades in process. I just sat and visited with folks most of the night, as we turned on the TV to watch "Die Hard With a Vengance" (gotta love Bruce Willis!) and I played w/my friend Don's new 13-week-old Yorkie (I want a puppy!)

It was nearly 11:00 p.m. when I left the church building last night. I live not more than a mile and a half from my church. It's a drive that takes about 4 minutes...only because it's mostly through a residential neighborhood, and because there are 2 stop signs and 3 stop lights on this short, mile-and-a-half-long drive. So you can imagine the frustration when, not quite half-way home, someone dented my bumper at one of those dadgum stoplights. My 4-minute drive home took up an hour of my night, and I walked through my front door just a few minutes before midnight.

Despite living in a world that encourages us to be like everyone else--a world that tells us, "Everyone's doin it!"--I don't like being a member of this majority! It's NOT always good to be a member of the "in" crowd. Just because something is normal, or even likely or expected, does not mean that it is a good thing. I guess that's the moral of the story, really.

Can you think of any other time when it's not good to be like everyone else???

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."--Matt. 7:13-14

No comments: