Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ponderings on Prayer

For quite some time now, I've been meditating on prayer. How to pray? Why to pray? Where to pray? When to pray? Postures in prayer? Prayer and fasting? I could go on...

They seem like elementary questions, but I admit that it's something I struggle with sometimes. This is evidenced by the fact that whenever a part of my spiritual life starts to diminish, prayer, for me, is the first thing to go and the last thing to pick back up again. It's just hard for me. It's harder for me to pray for myself than it is for me to pray for others. Perhaps that's because it's harder for me to pray when I don't know what to pray for. Praying for others is easy, because most of the time, I know what they need/want. But when I come to myself, it seems most times, I just don't have the words.

But even that doesn't make sense to me...it shouldn't be that way. Why would I worry about prayer when I don't know what to pray for? It's not harder for me to talk to a friend when I don't know what to talk about. Seems prayer should be so simple, like a nice conversation with a close friend, at least in one aspect. So after 13+ years of Christianity, it seems I still don't 'get it' and that bothers me.

I'd like to spend the next few posts looking at some of those ideas, trying to answer some of the questions from the beginning of this post. So I look forward to basically doing some of my personal Bible study on prayer 'out loud' on this blog. Because I tend to learn better and retain more when I write something down. And if you actually take the time to read all of these ramblings, bless you.

Much love!

2 comments:

Keith Brenton said...

You can count on me following your ramblings. You bless my life, sis.

TREY MORGAN said...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on prayer. I have SO much to learn. Looking forward to it.

Blessings.