Thursday, November 8, 2007

'Tis the Season......Almost!

Deck the halls with boughs of holly
Fa la la la la la la la la!
'Tis the season to be jolly
Fa la la la la la la la la!

There. That's probably the closest you'll ever come to hearing me sing. You're welcome for that.

Normally I am one of those that gets irritated when stores begin to commercialize Christmas, even before Thanksgiving (or sometimes even before Halloween!) Indeed, I couldn't resist rolling my eyes and shaking my head last Thursday, Nov. 1st, when, while walking through Walmart that evening, I saw some of the store workers assembling a Christmas tree right by the front door.

Last night I went back to Walmart, only to be greeted by that Christmas tree, fully lit, and a sign pointing to the left that read, "Our Christmas shop is now open!"

Seriously??? It just seems too early to me! I'm a firm believer that the Christmas tree goes up on the day after Thanksgiving, NOT the day after Halloween!

However, I believe I'm beginning to change my attitude about this, at least a little bit. As a matter of fact, I technically did a little Christmas shopping last night while there. I didn't intend to. But after seeing the decor, I walked right by something that I know my older sister has been wanting for awhile. I looked for this item last year for her and never could find it, and I don't believe she's found one since. At least I hope she hasn't. Because I picked it up for her last night to give to her as a Christmas present! I gotta admit that's not normal for me. This born procrastinator is usually the one that gets up at about 6:00 a.m. on the last Saturday before Christmas to go do all my shopping at once. But it feels good to be ahead of the game for once, you know, not waiting till the very last minute to get stuff done! Maybe I could get used to this and it will spill over into the rest of my life! (Yeah, right!)

So there is that. There's also the fact that as much as I may roll my eyes at the super-commercialization of Christmas, a small part of me deep down inside gets excited about all the things that I love about the season! I love Christmas music. I love all the Christmas specials that come on TV...whether it's special movies that they run, or just all the old Christmas episodes from my favorite sitcoms that I loved to watch when I was a kid. I love making Christmas cookies. I love gathering with family and friends for Christmas parties, where we can just visit and enjoy each other's company. I love being reminded again and again that it is more blessed to give than to receive. And I love the fact that, at least for once a year, the world is focused on the Reason for the season.

And I suppose it's never too early to start focusing on the Reason.

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have."--I Pet. 3:15

No comments: