Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Better Hobby...

It's been recently suggested to me that I should find a better hobby...

The person who suggested that was kidding, or at least I think he was...I'm not altogether sure. I don't really know him, so for all I know, he probably thinks I'm an idiot! If so, he'd probably be right! : )

But, in all seriousness, those words have been resounding in my mind for a while. Perhaps because I, myself, have felt that way for a long time already...I've felt like I should be doing something better with my spare time. I am at a very rare and temporary portion of my life where I can honestly say that time is abundant. I am single (at least I hope this portion is temporary!) and thus do not have such family responsibilities. I work in accounting at a credit union where I generally work 8--5, Monday thru Friday. I would like to further my education in the not-too-distant future, but I am not currently taking any classes. I go to work...I come home...I go to church...I come home...I go out with friends...I come home. I've said before that one of the things that I LOVE about being single is that I don't have to answer to anyone. I can do what I want to do, when i want to do it, without worrying about what anyone thinks.

But then I remember the words of Paul, "You are not your own; you were bought at a price." Or better yet, the words of Christ, "For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it," and "In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple."

Why, then, do I find myself living my life as though it were my own??? THIS SHOULD NOT BE! I should be willing to give of whatever I have...time, money, talents...in order to bless others and glorify God. And right now, it just seems like I have more time than I do money. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty to support myself and then some, and I try to be generous whenever the opportunity arises. Indeed, there are many times that I wish I had more money to be generous with! If any of you would like to help correct this problem, please, feel free to mail your check to 701 Gr...

Just kidding...

Seriously, though...I must use what He has given me, which, right now, is an abundance of time, and learn to be generous with it, as well.

As for talents, I don't know, really...I guess there are certain things that I'm good at. And there are other things that I have a heart for and would love to do, but I know I'm not very good at.

Therein lies the problem. I know I should be using my time to do something for Him. I just haven't figured out what that something is yet.

*SIGH*

5 comments:

Keith Brenton said...

I was kidding.

There is no better hobby than blogging your spiritual journey.

If there was, I would have finished my Eureka Springs & North Arkansas Railway HO layout years ago.

mmlace said...

Well, folks, good to know that he was, in fact, kidding.

I wonder if I should be concerned with the lack of denial of thinking that I'm an idiot!!! Ha ha! ;)

Keith Brenton said...

And you over-analyze.

(But don't make too much of that remark.)

mmlace said...

Guilty as charged!!! I am incredibly analytical...

In case any of you missed the personality post over at Alan's blog a few weeks back...

Introverted=74%
Sensing=89%
Thinking=58%
Judging=100% (I think this one may be a little extreme for me...but then again, I could just be over-analyzing!)

Anyway...that's me!

Patrick Mead said...

Good stuff! Thanks for coming by my humble blog. I will look for great things from yours.

No pressure.