Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"Consumed By Christ"

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.

Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgement nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.--Psalm 1


This chapter--more specifically, the first verse of this chapter--is the verse that I almost used as my header on my page here (until I remembered the one that's there now) because it speaks of meditating on God's word. And that's alot of what I try to do here; I just try to "think out loud" so to speak, on this page, and it is very helpful.

This chapter is also one that we read last night, the first night of a new prayer group that we're starting among the single ladies at PV. Not very many of us were there last night--besides myself, there were three other people. But I've recently felt the need for a "small group" to gather with in His name, so I'm thrilled that one of them decided to start this. She wanted it to be simple, not requiring alot of prep work...so we decided we would just read a Psalm, and then work on reading through a NT book. She suggested a gospel. Then another of my friends spoke up, "What about Hebrews? I've read all of it at different times, I'm sure...but I don't think I've ever just read through it." Of course, I was excited to hear that suggestion, and I agreed wholeheartedly. She continued "I just haven't read through it all the way...it and Revelation." Then we were all in agreement--Hebrews it is! (Maybe we'll tackle Revelation next...but somehow, I doubt it.)

So after reading through the first chapter of Psalms and the first three chapters of Hebrews, we shared some of our prayer concerns and spent some time in prayer. Nothing extravagant about our meeting together...except that we spent time talking to each other, talking to the Father, and reading from His Word.

I think it's important to spend time doing all three of those...everyday. Day and night, even, as the scripture says. Meditating day and night. It is my understanding that the literal meaning of the word translated "meditate" means "to murmur." How often do you concentrate so hard on His Word that a certain portion of scripture remains at the forefront of your heart and mind so powerfully that you find yourself murmuring or muttering the scripture to yourself??? How often do you find it overflowing into the things that you say and do?

These questions all brought to mind a quote I heard on the radio not too long ago, a comment, that to me, seems to be a little bit of a challenge. And it almost seemed even a little boastful, but I don't think that's at all how it was intended, and it makes more sense because it was said about a band as a group, not that the individual was necessarily claiming this for himself. The comment was from one of the members of MercyMe, which has a song on their most recent CD (which I believe was released last year) entitled "One Trick Pony." He said, "We are a one-trick pony. We walk around with our heads and our hearts consumed by Christ, and that's all that comes out of us."

What a challenge! Oh how I long to be like that, to be literally consumed by Christ, so that He and His Words are what come out of me! Yet I am so far from that. But I wonder if the practice of meditating on His Word isn't a starting point? Your thoughts?

Much love.

2 comments:

preacherman said...

I think we should all be consumed by Christ. The way we think, act, our actions, attiude, live.

TREY MORGAN said...

Sorry for barging in on your blog. Ran across it from a mutual friend. I just wanted to tell you I love Psalm 1. My favorite.

I like your blog.