Monday, July 23, 2007

Welcome Home

I'm finally home, and I promise I'm working on a blog post to summarize my experiences at camp this year! But in the mean time, hear this...

Yesterday, I attended church, as is my usual custom. On Sunday morning, we had a sermon about being imitators of God in our community. The title for the sermon was something like "The Church on Monday Morning." That's what we are to be...not just the church of Sunday, but the church of Monday, and Tuesday, and every other day that ends in 'Y'. It was a really good lesson on how, by being the imitators of God that we are called to be all the time, we can have an impact on our community. I went home, ate some lunch, did a little bit of laundry, but mostly just relaxed and recovered some more from camp. Went to church Sunday evening, where we got to hear our elders speak a little more about the concerns that are facing our church right now (more on that later, too!) and they let us know a little bit of what to expect in the coming months. After worship, I saw a friend who gave me a hug and a sincere, "Welcome home!" I just said, "Thanks, it's good to be back." After church I went to Moe's for some yummy Mexican food w/some of my friends from our singles group. All in all, it was a great day!

But what a difference a day makes! This morning, as I walked into the office, I heard those same words..."Welcome back!" Except they were spoken with more sarcasm than sincerity, as I walked into the credit union where I am employed, only to find that both of our member base systems (that is, the main systems we use to do transactions for members) were down, I was having difficulty logging onto some info that I gotta get off the internet everyday, our teller supervisor was not there, our printer that we use to print checks for members was not working and about 15 checks had been messed up and needed to be re-done. When I did finally get to start on my daily work (at about 9:30 a.m.) I discovered that there were several accounts outta balance, things posted incorrectly, that I had to hunt for to find the errors and correct. I could go on...

But then I realized...it was Monday morning. As I recalled Jeff's sermon, I remembered that on days like today, I am called to be a child of God and set an example for Him, even when it may not be easy to do. So I tried my best to face this Monday, my first day back from a fun, but exhausting vacation, with a positive attitude, trying to help others around me with their computer problems, member service problems, etc. It's sooo not an easy thing to do. A part of me was like "I wish I was still at camp!" For at camp, we spend most of our day in Bible study, prayer, and worship. But, as Jeff pointed out, we are not to be just the church of Sunday morning, but the church of Monday Morning.

How was your Monday? Hope it was good. Have a great week! Much love!--mmlace

2 comments:

larry said...

Enjoyed your post...

Not only is every day important in our lives, but we can make a difference in the lives of others.

On Sunday mornings we are primarily on display only to other Christians, and naturally on our best behavior, but during the week we encounter a different world where we may be the only example of a Christian some people see all week.

On Keith's blog I wasn't commenting about your use of "little bitty church," in fact I like that phrase... :) I meant to only agree with everything you said. I get discouraged at times with some groups that have the my way or the highway attitude, but perhaps that will change, hope so at least...

mmlace said...

Yes, we can always hope. Obviously, you don't fit into that stereotype...which is a good thing! So my comment over there was, very much, a generalization. I appreciate your comments! Much love--mmlace