Monday, June 4, 2007

Sunshine and Summertime!

So many things I love about this wonderful season!

Summertime...sunshine...sandals...sweltering heat...swimming...studying...SPF 50...

Yep, you read all of those right! Allow me to elaborate...

Summertime--I loved this season as a kid, of course, because it meant I didn't have to go to school. Still love the season because it's the season of my birthday, my handsome nephew's birthday, and my parents' birthdays! (That means we get lots of cake!)

Sunshine--it's just beautiful! And nice and warm! So warm that I can wear...

Sandals--I've always preferred to be a barefoot girl! My feet like to breathe. In sandals, my feet can breathe even when I have to wear shoes (like to work, church, etc.) But any other time, I prefer no shoes. I love that during the summer I can walk outside barefoot on the warm concrete. That is until the concrete is too hot because of the...

Sweltering heat--Growing up in the south, you just learn to get used to it. But I can even be thankful for it, because it makes me appreciate the fact that I won't be spending eternity in it!

Swimming--A wonderful way to cool off from the sweltering heat! Especially now that I live in an apartment complex with two pools (rather than none!) and I can spend every evening taking a dip if I wanted to!

Studying--Yeah, that one's right as well, in fact it's my favorite on the list, I do believe. One of my favorite things to do is read while laying out by the pool! I started on Memorial Day w/Max Lucado's Facing Your Giants. And I'm so excited, I went this afternoon and bought me a bunch of good summertime reads so that I can spend countless more hours by the pool this summer, studying, sitting at the feet of more seasoned Christians than myself. I bought Lucado's Cure for the Common Life. Ya know what I love about him? He's such an easy read, I can read one of his books in one sitting (what can I say, I like a challenge! ha!) I also bought Prayer: Does it Make a Difference? by Philip Yancey. I've never read anything of his, but I hear he is good. I ordered Come to the Table by John Mark Hicks (I've read lots of good stuff about his writing on the internet!), Righteousness Inside Out by Mike Cope (just one I stumbled across on Amazon in searching for a couple of others; haven't heard him preach in over a decade, but I enjoy reading his blog!), and Pilgrim Heart by Darryl Tippens (someone else I've never read, save a chapter of this book that's posted at wineskins; but my minister, who always has good book suggestions, keeps referring to it in his sermons). Along w/this one I ordered the Study Guide by Angela and Keith Brenton (I don't know anything about Angi, but based on Keith's blog...I expect excellence!) So yes...studying...I think I spent nearly $80 on what I hope will be some excellent poolside studying material! Of course, all this laying out by the pool reading all summer will require me to use some...

SPF 50--Because you know without it, this fair-skinned, red-haired girl will roast, toast, and burn to a crisp in a matter of MINUTES!!!

So many things I love about this season. Wanna know one more thing that I love that isn't necessarily associated with summertime?

SLEEP.

Much love and good nite!

3 comments:

Alan Gable said...

My favorite part of summer is alliteration....

What did you think of Jerome?

mmlace said...

I think he was very skillful, stirring, and most superior...just kidding! Enough w/the alliteration.

Seriously...

I think he did a really good job. I was excited, I've been looking forward to this past Sunday for a couple of weeks now, and I think it'd be great to have someone like him at PV. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that there may be some who disagree with me. I dunno...I haven't been around PV long enough to know how liberal/conservative (for lack of better words) they lean on most things...I guess this is the first big decision we've made since I've been at PV; we, as a whole, seem to be neither liberal or conservative, very down the middle, so I guess I don't really know what to expect.

Everyone I've talked to so far has liked him. But everyone I've talked to so far is at least a little more liberal than conservative. What are your thoughs?

Alan Gable said...

I've liked Jerome for a while. I think it would be a mistake to let him go somewhere else. I was ushering at the second service and also that night so I was only partially involved. We'll see what happens.